Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Pond Liner is in.

I recently took a trip to Home Depot to purchase the pond liner and a few other items.  I had trouble finding the right type of pond liner for my system.  The plan calls for a pond liner that does not contain EPDM and is no less than 20 mil.  My concern was price, of course.  I am trying to build this prototype system at the lowest cost possible.  Many of the online pond liners were either too expensive or not the right size.  I was looking for a 6ft by 11 ft liner.  I did not want to cut the liner I just wanted the right size.  I finally just decided to get the pond liner sold at Home Depot and would cut it myself.  The pond liner I bought from Home Depot was from Total Pond pond skins 10ft x 13ft.

The first thing I had to do was to measure and mark off 6ft. Thanks for the help son!



I decided to install the liner without cutting it first.  This was not what the plan called for.  I was concerned that I could potentially screw up and could not go back if I already made the cuts.  Therefore I decided to do it when I was installing it.  It did make it more difficult to install but I have never done this before so I wanted to make sure I gave some room for error.  I did have to remove some of the staples and install again.




I still have to get the 2x2's, paint, and add to the top as trim.  I have the week of Thanksgiving off and I plan to get the plumbing and electricity done so I can fill with water and get the system going.


2 comments:

  1. Will your system include a solids filter when the water goes from the fish tank to the grow bed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only filter will be a mesh screen that is attached to the pipe from the fish tank to the grow bed. As you can see from the previous blog post the hole is near the top of the tank. Therefore, I believe the solids will accumulate at the bottom of the grow bed and fish tank. For more information please visit friendly aquatints (link at the bottom) for more info. Hope that answers your question.

    ReplyDelete